If you are interested in managing a safe and effective weight loss – we have a few tips on how to stay slim for life!!!
- Don’t do crash diets. You’ll most likely regain the lost weight within a few years or even months.
Cut back on refined sugars (especially sugary drinks).
- Increase your intake of fresh fruit, vegetables, and wholegrain breads and cereals.
- Consume less alcohol.
- Eat less takeaway and snack foods.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Introduce more movement into your day — try to include 30 minutes of walking daily.
- Don’t eliminate any food group unless you have a medical problem (i.e celiac and gluten products) or food intolerance (lactose intolerance for example). Instead, choose from a wide range of foods every day and choose «whole», less-processed foods.
- Research suggests that losing ½ to 2 pounds a week by making healthy food choices, eating moderate portions, and building physical activity into your daily life is the best way to lose weight and keep it off. By adopting healthy eating and physical activity habits, you may also lower your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure.
- Take a standard serving out of the package and eat it off a plate instead of eating straight out of a box or bag.
- Avoid eating in front of the TV or while busy with other activities.
- Eat breakfast every day.
- Pay attention to what you are eating and fully enjoy the smell and taste of your foods.
- Eat slowly so your brain can get the message that your stomach is full.
- Try to eat three sensible meals at regular times throughout the day.
- Skipping meals may lead you to eat larger portions at your next meal.
- When cooking in large batches, freeze food in single-meal-sized containers that you will not serve right away. This way, you won’t be tempted to finish eating the whole batch before the food goes bad. And you’ll have ready-made food for another day.
- When you do have a «treat», eat only one serving, eat it slowly, and enjoy it!
- Keep a food diary. Through your diary, you can become aware of the times and reasons you eat too much, and try to make different choices in the future.
Tips when eating out:
Research shows that the more often a person eats out, the more body fat he or she has. Try to prepare more meals at home. Eat out and get take-out foods less often. When you do eat away from home, try these tips to help you control portions:
- Share your meal, order a half-portion, or order an appetizer as a main meal.
- Stop eating when you begin to feel full. Focus on enjoying the setting and your friends or family for the rest of the meal.
- Take half or more of your meal home. You can even ask for your half-meal to be boxed up before you begin eating so you will not be tempted to eat more than you need.
- Avoid large beverages, such as «supersize» soft drinks. They have a large number of calories.
- Order the small size, choose a calorie-free beverage, or drink water with a slice of lemon.
- If you stop at a fast food restaurant, choose one that serves salads, or order the small burger with lettuce and tomato.
- Have water or nonfat milk with your meal instead of a soft drink. If you want french fries, order the small size.
- When traveling, bring along nutritious foods that will not spoil such as fresh fruit, small cans of fruit, peanut butter and jelly (spread both thin) sandwiches, whole grain crackers, carrot sticks, air-popped popcorn, and bottled water.
- Do not fall for the «supersized» menu offers — while it may seem like a good value, you’ll end up with more food and calories than you need.
Hope our tips and advice can help you to manage your successful weight loss and mostly important keeping it for life!